Whole Wheat Strawberry Blueberry Banana Bread
Yields 1 loaf, 12 servings
Calories: 122 per slice
- 2 cups whole wheat or gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature (to bring cold eggs to room temperature, place in a bowl of warm water for approximately 5 minutes)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and lightly coat a 9"x5" loaf pan (I improvised with a 9"x9" pan and it worked fine) with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large separate bowl, whisk together the butter or coconut oil, egg whites, and vanilla. Stir in the mashed banana, Greek yogurt, and honey, mixing until no large lumps of yogurt remain.
- Alternate between adding the flour mixture and the milk, stirring just until incorporated, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Gently fold in the strawberries and blueberries.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the top has turned a golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. *Baking time may vary depending on the size of your pan (mine was done at 35 minutes).
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.