Zoodles with Simple Marinara Sauce
Yields 4 servings, 1 cup each
Calories: ~ 110
21 Day Fix approved: 1 1/2 Green, 1/2 Teaspoon (if using olive oil to finish)
- 4 large or 8 small zucchini, yellow squash, or a combination
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, or other cooking fat
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, mined
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, to finish (optional)
Directions for Zoodles:
- Fill a large pot with 1 inch water, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. Place a steamer basket in the pot.
- While the water comes to a boil, shred the zucchini or yellow squash into noodles using a handheld julienne peeler, a spiralizer tool, or even a regular vegetable peeler, (if using a regular peeler, the noodles will be wide and flat instead of spaghetti-shaped). You should get 4 cups of noodles. When the water is boiling, steam the noodles in the basket for approximately 5-7 minutes (or until desired texture), then place in a colander to drain off the excess liquid as they cool slightly.
Directions for Marinara Sauce:
- In a saucepan, melt the cooking fat over medium heat, and cook the onion until it is translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, season with additional salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the basil and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve over zucchini noodles. Finish with a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil for added flavor and richness.